Hurricane Disaster Recovery: Rebuilding After a Hurricane Strikes
While Palm Beach Florida has fared pretty well for the past few hurricane seasons, it’s still a smart idea to know which professionals to contact should a hurricane cause damage to you home. Professionals are key not only in repairing your home, but also in helping you fully recover on your property damage insurance claim before the rebuilding process begins. A public insurance adjuster can accomplish this for you. The Florida Association of Public Adjusters (FAPIA) provides these points on how a public adjuster can help you with hurricane disaster recovery:
- Provides immediate direction as to what to do and what happens next.
- Provides immediate claims handling assistance to the insured.
- Helps the policyholder fulfill all obligations placed upon them by the insurance policy conditions entitled, “Duties in the Event of Loss.”
- Advises against the premature hiring of contractors until damages, job specifications, and cost of the job, are known, agreed to, and paid for by the carrier.
- Provides direction concerning reasonable and necessary mitigation efforts.
Preparing to Better Weather the Next Storm
Once the rebuilding process is set to begin, there are a number of ways you can make your home more storm proof. The American Red Cross offers the following tips for putting your home back in order following a hurricane:
As You Rebuild:
- Secure double entry doors at the top and the bottom.
- Strengthen existing garage doors to improve the wind resistance, particularly double- wide garage doors.
- Protect windows with permanent storm shutters or one-half inch marine plywood that is pre-cut to fit your doors and windows.
- Clear loose and clogged rain gutters and downspouts to prevent flooding and unnecessary pressure on the awnings.
- Select trees that are not as subject to uprooting to replace damaged ones. A gardening or landscaping professional can give you excellent advice.
- Identify a place to store lawn furniture, toys, gardening tools and trash cans that is away from stairs and exits to prevent them from being moved by high winds and becoming missiles.
Ask a Professional to:
- Ensure roof sheathing is properly installed.
- Ensure end gables are securely fastened to the rest of the roof.
- Fasten the roof to the walls with hurricane straps.
- Elevate your home if it is near the coast and subject to flooding from storm surge.
Advocate Claims Public Adjusters can offer seasoned advice regarding the process of making your home a home once more. We can save you the hassle of dealing with the insurance company and the endless paperwork, and get you the maximum amount for your damages through expert negotiations.
Call Advocate Claims Public Adjusters for property insurance claims at 561-962-0065.