Hurricane Preparedness Plan: It’s not too late to put your plan together
June was the official start of the hurricane season, however, it’s not too late to devise a solid hurricane preparedness plan for your home and family. Although it may seem like a bit of a daunting task, it is well worth the time and monetary investment.
Here are few tips from FEMA that will help protect your home before a hurricane strikes.
- Hurricane winds can cause trees and branches to fall, so before hurricane season trim or remove damaged trees and limbs to keep you and your property safe.
- Secure loose rain gutters and downspouts and clear any clogged areas or debris to prevent water damage to your property.
- Reduce property damage by retrofitting to secure and reinforce the roof, windows and doors, including the garage doors.
- Purchase a portable generator or install a generator for use during power outages. Remember to keep generators and other alternate power/heat sources outside, at least 20 feet away from windows and doors and protected from moisture; and never try to power the house wiring by plugging a generator into a wall outlet.
- Consider building a FEMA safe room or ICC 500 storm shelter designed for protection from high-winds and in locations above flooding levels.
Taking Extra Steps to Protect One of Your Most Valuable Assets
What else can you do to protect your home when faced with the threat of a hurricane? Below are two of the most critical things you can do to protect the value of your home.
- Review your homeowners’ insurance policy so that you understand what is covered and what isn’t.
- Establish a relationship with a reputable public insurance adjuster who can help you with the claims process should damage occur. Public adjusters are typically more complete in their damage analysis than an insurance company adjuster and will help you fully recover your loss.
Advocate Claims Public Adjusters provide comprehensive services in Palm Beach County for assessing your home or commercial property damages, reviewing your insurance policy, and streamlining the process of filing a claim with your insurance company.
We offer a free, no obligation consultation, and a no recovery – no fee service that puts you, the policyholder, first.
Call Advocate Claims Public Adjusters at 561-962-0065.